Just because you’re vegan, doesn’t mean you can’t have cute canapes at your next party! This post gives you two delicious topping ideas for an old party favourite – mini toasts.
The first topping is a delicious spring themed mix of green peas, cream cheese, mint and lemon. The flavours are so fresh, and delicious. (Tip, this topping also tastes amazing on toast for lunch!). You can also make this topping with the ricotta from my Green Pea Salad if you prefer.
The second is a more traditional tomato and avocado, topped with vegan basil pesto. I use store bought basil pesto from a health food store. There are plenty of vegan pesto recipes that you can try online if you’d prefer to make your own. When it comes to Christmas, I sometimes like to just go for the easy premade option…
It can be somewhat tricky to find the mini toasts for this recipe. You need to be very careful about ingredients such as whey and milk solids. I found that the Pride of France brand is vegan, but the Always Fresh is not. The Always Fresh Crustini biscuits seem to have some vegan flavours though. I ended up using the Abes Bagel crisps, but I found these to be quite small and very salty.
If you can’t find suitable vegan mini toasts, you could thinly slice a vegan baguette and toast the slices in the oven until they are crispy.
To Make Vegan Pea, Lemon and Mint Canapes
Cook Peas according to the packet directions.
Add peas, cream cheese (or Almond Ricotta from this recipe) mint leaves and lemon juice to a small food processor or blender. Process until fully combined. I like to leave some texture in mine so I don’t process it until it’s completely smooth.
Spread the Pea Mint and Lemon Topping Mix over the mini toasts and serve immediately, or store the mix in a sealed container in the fridge overnight. Don’t spread the mix over the mini toasts ahead of time, otherwise they will go soggy.
This recipe will make extra Pea Topping mix. Unfortunately my small processor didn’t work with a smaller batch. If you have a super small processor like a magic bullet you could halve the recipe.
To Make Avocado, Tomato and Basil Canapes
Just prior to serving, spread mini toasts with avocado. Top with thinly sliced tomatoes, and a small dollop of vegan basil pesto.
If you’re looking for another appetiser option, check out my post about how to make a Vegan Cheese Platter.
Lemon Mint and Pea Mini Toasts
- 1 cup Peas
- ½ cup Vegan Cream Cheese or Almond Ricotta
- ¼ cup Mint Leaves
- 1 Tbs Lemon Juice
- ½ Packet Vegan Mini Toasts
- 1 Tbs Lemon Rind to garnish
- Cook peas according to packet directions.
- Add cooked peas, vegan cream cheese, mint leave and lemon juice to a small processor or blender. Process until combined. I try to process the mix until it is chopped up, but not until it is completely smooth, because I like the extra texture.
- Spread Pea Mixture over mini toasts just prior to serving. Top with Lemon Rind.
Avocado Tomato and Basil
- ½ Ripe Avocado
- ½ Punnet Cherry or Grape Tomatoes
- ¼ cup Vegan Basi Pesto
- ½ Packet Vegan Mini Toasts
- Slice tomatoes into thin slices.
- Top Mini Toasts with a thin layer of avocado. Top with a slice of tomato and a small dollop of vegan basil pesto.