This Vegan Chocolate Chickpea Slice is a great lunch box snack for fussy kids. Both of my kids’ schools are nut free, and it can be really hard to come up with healthy and filling vegan foods for lunches that don’t include nuts.
When you can’t give your kids nuts for protein, the other option tends to be legumes. My kids (probably like most kids) aren’t fans of lentils and beans on their own, so I find baked goods are the best way to get them to eat them. This Chocolate Chickpea Slice is full of protein from the chickpeas, and the oats, but I promise your kids will never know.
I tend to make this slice on a Sunday night, and then cut it up and freeze it in individual zip lock bags for easy lunch packing through the week.
It can sometimes be difficult (and expensive!) to find vegan chocolate chips. You can use about 8 squares of vegan dark chocolate in place of the chips if you need to. Just be careful if your processor isn’t super tough. You may need to chop the chocolate up into small pieces before adding it.
I find that I need to make this recipe in a food processor to process the chickpeas. If you don’t own a food processor, you could try mashing the chickpeas and incorporating them into the other dry ingredients with your fingers.
To Make Vegan Chocolate Chickpea Slice
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and prepare your baking dish.
Add flour, chickpeas, oats, cocoa, sugar and baking powder to a processor. Process until combined and the chickpeas are broken into a fine crumb.
Add apple puree and milk. Process until just combined. Add the chocolate chips and process until fully mixed through.
Pour mix into prepared baking tin. Bake for approximately 25 minutes, until browned on top and cooked through.
If you’re looking for more nut free school snacks, check out my 8 Nut Free School Snack Ideas post.
Vegan Chocolate Chickpea Slice
- 1 cup Wholemeal Flour
- 1 400g Tin Chickpeas Rinsed and drained
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup Cocoa
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 120 g Apple Puree or unsweetened apple sauce
- 2/3 cups Plant Based Milk
- 1/4 cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Prepare a medium rectangular baking dish by lining it with baking paper.
- Add flour, chickpeas, oats, cocoa, sugar and baking powder to a processor. Process until combined and the chickpeas are broken into a fine crumb.
- Add apple puree and milk. Process until just combined.
- Add Chocolate Chips. Process until fully combined.
- Pour chocolate slice mix into prepared baking dish. Bake for approximately 25 minutes, until browned on top and cooked through.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
|Nutrient||Per Serve||Per 100g|
|Energy||801kJ (191cal)||925kJ (221cal)|