This Vegan Mango Semifreddo recipe combines delicous summer mango, with tangy cream cheese in an easy make ahead frozen dessert.
I love making frozen desserts for Christmas Day. They’re perfect because you can make them the day ahead. Then, when you’re tired and sick of cooking after your amazing main course, you can pull your impressive dessert straight out of the freezer and serve.
This Semifreddo recipe is especially easy thanks to how easy it is to find vegan ice cream and cream cheese these days. You can find vanilla flavoured vegan ice cream in most supermarkets. Coconut based ice creams work particularly well with the mango in this recipe, but any type of vanilla ice cream will do. There are a number of vegan cream cheese brands available in supermarkets. I used sheese in this recipe, but any vegan brand will do. Just make sure that it is not a savoury flavoured one. My husband once bought me a chive flavoured cream cheese by mistake, and it certainly wouldn’t have worked well in my dessert!
I make a cashew cream as part of this recipe as I didn’t want a strong coconut flavour. You can quite easily replace the cashew cream with 240ml of coconut cream if you can’t have nuts, or would like a stronger coconut flavour.
In order to make this recipe nut free, replace the cashew cream with coconut cream, and the chopped almonds with crumbled vegan biscuits.
To Make Vegan Mango Semifreddo
Line a loaf tin with baking paper. Try to keep the baking paper as flat as possible, as this will help to keep the sides of the semifreddo smooth.
Chop the almonds in a blender or food processor. Don’t over process them or they will turn into almond meal, and the dessert will lose the texture. Spread the chopped nuts over the base of the prepared tin.
Make a cashew cream by processing the cashews, water and vanilla until smooth.
Place the cashew cream, mango, cream cheese and ice cream in a food processor and process until smooth.
Pour one cup of the mix in with the nuts in the baking tin. Lightly mix the nuts and ice cream mix together, then smooth to coat the base of the tin.
Pour over the remaining ice cream mix. Cover with another piece of baking paper. Freeze for at least 6 hours.
To make the Mango Sauce, blend the mango, sugar and lime juice together until smooth.
Serve the Semifreddo with the Mango Sauce.
Vegan Mango Semifreddo
- ½ cup Raw Almonds
- 1 cup Raw Cashews soaked if necessary
- ½ cup Water
- 1 tspn Vanilla Extract
- 2 Mangoes peeled and sliced
- 250 g Vegan Cream Cheese
- 1 L Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream slightly melted
- 2 Ripe Mangoes peeled and sliced
- 1 Tbs Sugar
- 1 tspn Lime Juice
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Process the almonds in a food processor or blender until chopped. Do not over process so that it becomes almond meal.
- Pour the chopped nuts into the base of the prepared baking tin.
- Place cashews, water and vanilla in a blender. Blend until smooth to form cashew cream.
- Place mango, cashew cream, cream cheese and ice cream in a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Pour about 1 cup of the mix into the prepared tin. Mix with the nuts and smooth.
- Pour the remaining mix over the nuts. Smooth the top.
- Cover with an extra sheet of baking paper. Freeze for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- To serve, remove from the freezer for about 15 minutes to soften. Turn out onto a serving dish and top with mango sauce.
To make Mango Sauce
- Puree ingredients in a blender.