This delicious vegan chocolate cake is oil and nut free, and great for school lunches. It is also a tasty way to use up extra zucchinis if you have them on hand.
My five year old loves chocolate. It’s amazing the number of foods I can sneak in when they are disguised by chocolate – like zucchini!. He refuses to even touch it on it’s own, but if I mix it up in this chocolate cake, he’ll eat it by the handful! I don’t even have to pretend it isn’t in there. He sees me put the zucchini in while I’m making it, and he doesn’t care. Just as long as it has chocolate. Chocolate really does seems to have magical powers that make all other foods delicious by association (who am I kidding, of course chocolate is that good!).
As it is nut free, this slice makes a good lunchbox treat. I even serve it for a reasonably healthy dessert. My kids somehow happily overlook the zucchini if it has chocolate!
Be warned, if you kids aren’t fans of green veggies, the wet ingredients from the blender are a very bright green when they are added. Luckily, the cocoa hides the colour once the ingredients are combined. Of course, you could tell them it’s slime, or Shrek Power Juice, or something like that if you think it will spark their imagination.
Let me know what you think, and any ways you have of sneaking veggies in!
Chocolate Zucchini Slice
- 2 cups Wholemeal Flour
- 3/4 cup Cocoa
- 1/2 cup Coconut Sugar
- 2 tspn Baking Powder
- 2 medium Zucchinis
- 120g Apple Puree
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a small baking dish with baking paper.
- Sift dry ingredients into a medium sized bowl. Stir to combine.
- Place wet ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour blended wet ingredients onto the dry ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined and you can’t see the green liquid anymore.
- Pour mix into lined baking dish. Smooth the top. Bake for 20 minutes.