This easy vegan tofu scramble has become my go to option for a quick weeknight meal, or even as part of an extravagant Sunday morning brunch.
I have never been able to eat eggs (just the smell of them makes me sick!) but I have always been able to see the appeal of the ease of scrambled eggs for a quick and easy budget dinner option.
Because of my strong aversion to eggs, it never occurred to me, when I turned vegan, that the vegan form of scramble – tofu scramble – could actually be a tasty option! It wasn’t until I was putting together a vegan big breakfast one day that it occurred to me to actually try tofu scramble. I’m certainly glad I did!
This easy vegan tofu scramble has literally become my go to meal. We have it most weekends with chickpea bacon, avocado and hash browns as a delicious brunch. I also keep a packet of firm tofu on hand for if I ever need a quick and easy healthy dinner. I normally serve it with a side of baked potatoes, but you could have it with toast, rice, or more veggies. Anything, really.
This scramble doesn’t have an eggy flavour (did I mention my aversion to eggs?). Instead, this scramble has a strong cheesey flavour, that goes well with vegan parmesan sprinkled on top. If, however, you would like a more traditional scramble, I have heard that black salt gives an egg flavour. I cannot personally vouch for this because I have never tried it.
There’s one important point that I have to say for when you’re cooking with tofu. Many people try tofu once, and decide they don’t like it. I know I did this when I first tried it. Then I discovered that different brands taste better than others. Once I found a brand that I love, it made tofu so much better for me. Personally, my favourite brand of tofu is the Woolies Macro brand (I have no affiliation whatsoever with them). I find that it tastes so much better than the others, and makes a really good tofu scramble. So if you haven’t liked tofu so far, maybe try a different brand.
To Make Easy Vegan Tofu Scramble:
This tofu scramble does not have a lot of spices, so it is great for kids. The cheesey flavour, combined with the subtle sweetness from the peas makes it super kid friendly.
If you’d prefer a spicier scramble, reduce the nutritional yeast, and increase the garlic, cumin and paprika.
Mix the spices and nutritional yeast in a separate container.
Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add the tofu and break it up into small pieces or crumbles, depending on how you like your scramble.
Mix the water and spice mix together. Pour over the tofu.
Mix the spice mix through the tofu until all of the tofu is coated.
Place the frozen spinach and peas in a microwave safe container and cook in the microwave according to the packet directions. You could also steam the veggies if you prefer.
Stir the cooked spinach and peas through the tofu. Serve, topped with vegan parmesan.
As I mentioned above, this tofu scramble tastes great served with my chickpea bacon.
Easy Vegan Tofu Scramble with Extra Greens
- 450 g Firm Tofu Block
- 1/2 cup Frozen Spinach
- 1/2 cup Frozen Peas
- 4 Tbs Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tspn Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tspn Onion Powder
- 1/2 tspn Salt
- 1/4 tspn Tumeric
- 1/4 tspn Paprika
- 1/4 tspn Cumin
- Add spice mix ingredients to a separate jug or bowl. Add 1/2 cup water and mix. Set aside.
- Add frozen spinach and peas to a microwave safe bowl and cook for approximately 3 minutes, or according to packet directions. These do not need to be fully heated through, as they will continue to cook in the scramble. Set aside.
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat. Place 2 Tbs water in the bottom to help stop the tofu from sticking. Break the tofu up and crumble into the frying pan. Cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently to make sure the tofu doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Add spice mix liquid to the cooking tofu. Stir through until all of the tofu is coated with sauce. You may need to add a little more water. Add greens, and stir through.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until scramble is heated through and the water has been absorbed.
- Serve, topped with grated vegan parmesan.