This vegan BLAT – Bacon, Lettuce Avocado, Tomato – sandwich is really quick and easy. The salty-sweet bacon flavoured chickpeas are delicious, and are a great plant based bacon alternative to meet those cravings. They only take about 5 minutes to make. The best part is there’s no marinating, so you can have these anytime you have a bacon craving.
I have found a vegan Worcestershire sauce in both Coles and Woolworths supermarkets. Make sure you check the ingredients for anchovies, as they are a common ingredient in Worcestershire sauce.
I served the chickpeas in a crusty bread sandwich, with avocado, lettuce and tomato to make a vegan BLAT. For the kids, I served them as part of a deconstructed sandwich. I added hummus to their avocado sandwich, because they aren’t always keen on chickpeas. Plus this recipe is quite high in salt from the soy sauce, so I didn’t want them too have too much.
Mix together the soy sauce, maple syrup, Worcestershire sauce and paprika in a bowl.
Heat the frying pan on high heat and add the drained chickpeas. Add the sauce.
Cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce is reduced and chickpeas are slightly browned.
Serve on crusty bread with lettuce, tomato and avocado.
Bacon Flavoured Chickpeas
- 2 TBS Soy Sauce or Tamari
- 1 TBS Maple Syrup
- 1 TBS Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 Tspn Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tin Chickpeas
- Spray Oil Optional
- 2 Slices Crusty Bread or wrap
- 1/4 Avocado
- 2 Slices Tomato
- Small Handful Lettuce
- Mix the soy sauce, maple syrup, Worcestershire sauce and paprika in a glass or bowl.
- Heat a fry pan on high heat. Spray with oil (or use a non-stick pan). Drain and rinse the chikpeas. When the frying pan is hot, add the chickpeas. Cook for a minute.
- Add the sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has disappeared, and chickpeas are browned. You can cook for a little longer here, to achieve a crunchiness on the chikpeas, but be careful they don't burn.
- Serve on crusty bread, with avocado, tomato and lettuce for a delicious BLAT. Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge.