This would have to be the easiest cake recipe I’ve ever found! All it needs are three basic ingredients, a bowl, a spoon and a cake tin to bake it in. Can you get any easier? It is even nut free, so perfect for school lunches!
I came up with this recipe one evening when I was desperate for something to put in my son’s lunchbox for school the next day. The annoying thing about where I live, is that the supermarkets all close at 6pm on a Sunday night. I’ve only recently moved here, and I keep forgetting this important fact. So there I was at 7pm on a Sunday night with only limited lunchbox supplies, and no open supermarkets nearby.
I raided the kitchen for baking supplies, and managed to come up with some soy yoghurt, self raising flour, and sugar. In theory there seemed to be all the required constituents to make a cake, but I really wasn’t sure if it was going to work. I mixed them together and put them in the oven, figuring that my son is generally pretty happy, as long as it’s cake… So hopefully I should have something for school the next day.
When I pulled it out, I was amazed. It actually looked like a proper cake! My family taste tested it, and declared it the best recipe I’ve made! (They do have short memories, so it may not be the best ever…). I have to say, though, it does taste really good.
So here it is. My super easy 3 ingredient cake.
This recipe can also take lots of variations.
As you can see, I’ve made a marble cake out of it, by halving the mix and adding cocoa to one half.
You could also add chocolate chips, sultanas, or fruit mix ins.
Soy Free: I’ve tried this recipe with plain coconut yoghurt, and it is delicious. Unfortunately, I can’t have much coconut, so I’ll be sticking with the soy yoghurt version!
Gluten Free: I tried this with a gluten free flour blend, and it does work, although the cake comes out less fluffy and light, and more chewy, than a traditional cake.
Preheat Oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
Mix yoghurt and sugar together in a bowl.
Sift in the flour. Mix to form a thick cake batter.
You can either pour the batter into a prepared tin at this point, or follow the steps below to make a marble cake.
Marble Cake Variant:
To make the marble cake, spoon half of the cake batter into a separate bowl. Add 1 – 1.5TBS cocoa, and 0.5TBS plant based milk to one bowl. Mix to combine.
Drop alternate spoonfuls into prepared cake tin.
Run a knife through the mix a few times to create the marble effect. Smooth the top.
Bake for approximately 30 minutes.
3 Ingredient Cake
- 350 g Vanilla Soy Yoghurt 2 tubs
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar firmly packed
- 1 1/3 cups Self Raising Flour
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Prepare a loaf tin by lining with baking paper or spray with oil.
- Mix yoghurt and sugar in a bowl with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Sift flour into bowl. Mix until it forms a smooth dough.
- Pour dough into prepared tin. Bake for approximately 30 minutes until springy and lightly browned on top.
- Turn out on a cooling rack to cool.
- To make a marble cake: After step 3, divide dough into two bowls. Add 2 Tbs of cocoa and 1/2 Tbs plant based milk to one bowl. Mix until fully combined. Drop alternate spoonfuls of each mix into the prepared tin. Cut through several times with a knife to swirl the flavours. Smooth the top. Follow the baking instructions from step 4.