It’s finally cooling down and acting somewhat like winter here in Queensland, so I’m starting to pull out the comfort foods. You won’t find a recipe more comforting than this delicious Vegan Sausage Pasta Bake.
This recipe was inspired by the recent arrival of some new vegan sausages on the market. I try not to make it a habit to eat vegan meat replacements, but I was curious, so tried them all out. Once we’d had them plain, I then tried to think of some of the recipes that I used to have before I was vegan that they would work in. So I came up with this vegan sausage pasta bake.
This recipe works with any type of vegan sausage replacement. I’ve also included a vegan meatball recipe that you can use instead if you prefer to avoid vegan meat alternatives. I prefer to make this recipe with the meatballs, but use some sausages if I’m in a hurry.
This recipe freezes well, and it’s a really good weeknight meal. It comes together really fast if you premake the meatballs.
To Make Vegan Sausage Pasta Bake
This recipe uses my Instant Cashew Cheese recipe as a cheesey topping.
Either cook the sausages according to the packet directions then cut into bite sized pieces, or make the vegan meatballs.
To make the meatballs, add the chia seeds and water to a cup and set aside to form a chia egg. Finely chop the onions and carrot in a processor (or chop the onion and grate the carrot by hand).
Add the walnuts and process until coarsely chopped.
Add the oats and beans. Process until just combined. You don’t want to over-process or the meatballs will lose their texture.
Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the remaining ingredients and chia egg. Mix with carefully with a wooden spoon or your hands until fully combined. You want a slightly wet mince texture.
Roll the mix into small balls and bake in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes, until they’re crispy on the outside.
While the meatballs are cooking, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
Put all of the cheese sauce ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.
To assemble, add meatballs, or cut up sausages, pasta and pasta sauce to a bowl. Mix gently to combine. Pour into a large baking dish. Top with the cheese sauce.
Bake for 15 – 20 minutes until browned on top.
To Make Ahead
There are a number of options to make this recipe ahead. You can make the meatballs and cheese sauce in advance. The cheese sauce will keep for up to 4-5 days in the fridge, and you can freeze the meatballs after baking. Alternatively, the entire recipe can be made ahead of time. It will either store for 4 – 5 days in the fridge, or you can cover it with foil and wrap it completely and freeze it.
To make this Vegan Sausage Pasta Bake gluten free, simply use your favourite gluten free pasta, and use gluten free breadcrumbs and oats in the meatballs. There are a number of gluten free sausage alternatives on the market that you could try out as well.
Vegan Sausage Pasta Bake
- 6 Vegan Sausages or serve of vegan meatballs recipe below
- 250 g Pasta
- 1 serve Cashew Cheese Sauce
- 1.5 jars Tomato Pasta Sauce
- Preheat oven to 180degrees C.
- Cook sausages according to packet direction, or prepare vegan meatball recipe from below.
- While sausages or meatballs are cooking, cook pasta according to packet directions.
- Place cheese sauce ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- If using sausages, cut into bite sized pieces once cooked.
- Add pasta, sausages or cooked meatballs, and pasta sauce to a bowl. Carefully mix until pasta is coated. Pour into a large rectangular baking dish.
- Pour cheese sauce evenly over the top.
- Bake at 180 degrees C for 15 – 20 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Serve or allow to cool, and store in an airtight container to keep in the fridge or freezer.
- 1 TBS Chia Seeds
- 1/2 Onion
- 1/2 Medium Carrot
- 1 cup Walnuts
- 1/3 cup Rolled Oats
- 1 tin Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 TBS Tomato Puree
- 1 TBS Italian Herbs
- 1 TBS Soy Sauce
- 2 tspn Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1-2 TBS Bread Crumbs
- Preheat Oven to 180 degrees C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the chia seeds and 3 TBS water in a cup and stir to form a chia egg. Set aside so that it becomes a gel.
- Add onion and carrot to processor. Process until just chopped. Alternatively, you can finely dice the onion and grate the carrot.
- Add the walnuts and process to form a rough crumble.
- Add the oats and kidney beans. Process until just combined.
- Transfer bean mixture to a bowl. Add soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree and herbs. Add 1 TBS bread crumbs. Mix with a wooden spoon or by hand until fully combined. The mix should resemble a slightly wet mince. Add more bread crumbs if required.
- Shape the mixture into small balls and place on the prepared tray.
- Bake at 180 degrees C for approximately 15 minutes, or until browned on the outside.